It’s time for something a bit different.
The week has been spent either (a)searching for furniture or (b)putting furniture together. As such, we won’t be having a discussion about anything Agile because I didn’t do any development (though this time my reason is a bit more legitimate). However, we will be having a discussion about my furniture construction.
Started with the computer desk, as that was the more immediate concern. I purchased a cheap Gemini L Computer Desk at Staples; simple, no hutches or drawers or anything of that nature. Just a flat desk and an option shelf that I haven’t put on yet. The desk made heavy use of allen bolts, which were significantly gentler than screws but still a bit of a pain. As a one man job, it was fairly straight-forward; though I could have used some help in a few spots, I never found myself calling out for an extra pair of hands.
Moved on to the computer chair - a Wal-Mart purchase from Dongguan Shindin Metal & Plastic Products. Construction was trivial, which is good since the chair is absolute rubbish. It’s a holdover until I get my old computer chair back, but it might find itself thrown out the window a couple weeks early. Tres uncomfortable.
Next we’ll talk about the futon. A two man job on a good day, but it could’ve called for an extra person. When I say a two man job, make no mistake - there were times when three to four hands were being used at once. It was also a royal pain; easily the most irritating thing to put together. The directions were unclear, a few of the steps were tricky, and I managed to wound myself near the very beginning of assembly. Never again.
The TV stand worried me; it’s a big wooden thing from Wal-Mart, heavy and sturdy. It was, however, surprisingly easy to assemble. A long job, to be sure - tons of screws and nails that sucked away time - but nothing especially hard. The use of cam locks/bolts was pleasant, as they’re so easy to use and don’t require the time investment of screws. The cabinet doors were awkward and difficult to get right, and I had to resort to a dirty hack using the wrong type of screw, but I eventually got it working. This was the first of the bunch that required nailing on a cardboard piece as the back of the furniture, which was initially hard to do as only one person, and also drained a whole lot of time.
The DVD stand was by far the easiest, which I guess is to be expected. Only a few pieces. A few screws, but not too many. Had to nail the back on, which I hate doing. The proportions of it are odd, though - it claims to be a DVD stand, and although the shelves are adjustable, you really can’t make use of all the space and I found myself leaving one shelf off because it just didn’t fit. Still, it’s managing to hold my entire movie collection (not my games).
The dressers, despite being not much bigger than the DVD stand, has been irritating. I’m not finished yet, simply because I don’t feel like putting together the drawers. It’s had a ton of screws to put in and more to go, and of course it had one of those backs you have to nail on. Ugh. Hate those things. I’ll probably finish it up tomorrow.
That’s all the stuff that I had to put together. Purchased a couch and a bed, but I won’t be getting those until Tuesday. Then there are a few other little things, like, say, blinds so that people can’t see through my windows. The place is really starting to come together.
Special thanks to Bri, who helped with the futon.